Zhen Wei Academy Rules:
- Respect the ancestors*, respect your teachers and respect their advice.
- Learn kindness, learn brotherhood, then learn kung fu.
- Always bow in the traditional manner (right fist to left palm) when entering or exiting the training area.
- Refer to your instructor as “shifu” and always greet him/her with the traditional bow as in the previous rule. Follow all his or her instructions during class.
- Respect each other; No bullying or aggressive behaviour will be tolerated in class. Nor will any unruly behaviour which interferes with other students’ learning or the safe conduct of the class.
- If you have any problems or issues within the class report it to your instructor immediately.
- Conduct yourself appropriately outside of the class so that you do not dishonour the Zhen Wei Academy name.
- Only practise what you have been taught to practise in class by your instructors. If you are learning another martial art, that is ok, but it is not appropriate to give demonstrations of it at Zhen Wei Academy unless invited to do so by your instructor. Similarly, out of respect, you should not demonstrate anything you have learned at Zhen Wei Academy at another club, without first having been asked to do so by the instructor.
- You are not permitted to teach kung fu to others, and should only do so if invited to by your instructor.
- Respect other martial arts styles, as we are all part of one big family with them. We have lots we can learn from each other and more in common with them than we have differences.
- Only use kung fu against another human being in self-defence, and only then as a very last resort using a minimum of force.
- When you join the Academy you are required to buy a Zhen Wei Academy uniform at the earliest opportunity and when you feel that you are ready to take your practice seriously. (Club T-Shirt, Kung-fu trousers and Feiyue plimsolls). This will be arranged for you by the Academy on request.
- If you wish to participate in sparing or contact practice you should take out insurance which can be arranged by the instructor. Insurance will also be required if entering into competitions.
- You are to ensure that your fingernails are kept short and smooth, and no jewellery, including watches are to be worn during class.
- You must report any injuries sustained outside of class to your instructors as there may be some techniques which you should avoid until fully fit.
- Any accidents or injuries must be reported to the instructor who is a qualified First Aider, and will assess the situation.
- Zhen Wei Academy is committed to Child Protection and as we may have only one instructor present in some classes, all students are expected to toilet themselves before class, or be toileted by their parents, in the interests of their safety and to minimise disruption to the class. Parents are welcome to watch children’s classes if they so wish.
- Zhen Wei Academy is committed to Equal Opportunities and will not tolerate any discrimination on the grounds of race, colour, gender, or disability. In the interests of safety, we stress that learning Kung Fu in a class environment without one to one supervision may not be suitable for people with some disabilities. One to one tuition is available upon request if required.
- Zhen Wei Academy reserves the right to refuse admission to any person who has violated any of these rules for the sake of the safety and harmony of the class.
How to behave when studying in a martial arts class, Class Etiquette